1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. Spray a 2-quart rectangular glass pan (1 ½ – 2″ sides) with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Pour the seasoning packet in the bottom of the pan. Mash out the lumps with a large spoon. Add black beans and rice to the seasoning mix, stir.
4. Add canned tomatoes and water. Stir thoroughly.
5. Place the chicken breast halves on top of the black bean and rice mixture. Cover with aluminum foil.
6. Bake 1 hour. Check mixture at 45 minutes, if beans and rice are getting dry on the edges, remove from oven.
7. Serve hot with a green salad and bread.
Alternate Crockpot Method:
1. Combine ingredients in a crockpot as directed above in steps 3, 4, 5 and 6.
2. Cover with lid, turn to Low and cook 4 to 8 hours.
3. If 4 hour cooking time is used, test chicken for doneness by piercing thickest part of meat with a sharp fork. If juices run clear, serve. If not, continue cooking.
YIELD: 4 Servings
NUTRIENT INFORMATION PER SERVING: 327 calories, 8 g fat, 23 g protein, 42 g carbohydrates,
6 g fiber, 45 mg calcium, 3 mcg folate, 370 mg potassium, and 209 mg sodium.