For a printer-ready version of this newsletter, click here.
Dry Beans Play Major Role in Traditional, Healthy Hispanic Diet
- Lucier G, Biing-Hwan L, Allshouse J, Kantor LS. (2000) Factors affecting dry bean consumption in the United States. Economic Research Service/USDA, Vegetables and Specialties S&O/VGDS-280/April 2000. http://www.agmrc.org/media/cms/DryBeanConsumption_1BB21AC669838.pdf
- Mitchell, DC, Lawrence, FR, Hartman, TJ, Curran, JM.(2009) Consumption of Dry Beans, Peas, and Lentils. Could Improve Diet Quality in the US J Am Diet Assoc. 109:909-913.
- Thompson, SV, Winham, DM, Hutchins AM (2012) Bean and rice meals reduce postprandial glycemic response in adults with type 2 diabetes: a cross-over study. Nutrition Journal, 11:23-30.
- Nunn, N., & Qian N. (2010). The Columbian Exchange: A History of Disease, Food, and Ideas. Journal of Economic Perspectives. 24(2):163–188.
- Ethnicity & Nutrient Shortfalls. Handout, Pharmavite.
- Miller, AM. Beans 101. http://beaninstitute.com/beans-101/health-promoting-bioactives/
- Kit BK, Carroll MD, Ogden CL. (2011) Low-fat milk consumption among children and adolescents in the United States, 2007–2008. NCHS data brief, no 75. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db75.pdf
- Ayala, GX, Baquero, B, Klinger, S (2008) A Systematic Review of the Relationship between Acculturation and Diet among Latinos in the United States: Implications for Future Research. J Am Diet Assoc. 2008;108:1330-1344.
- Yogurt and Yogurt Drinks – US – (2011) http://store.mintel.com/yogurt-and-yogurt-drinks-us-december-2011 .
- Sharma, S, Sheehy, T, Kolonel, LN. (2013), Ethnic differences in grains consumption and their contribution to intake of B-vitamins: results of the Multiethnic Cohort Study. Nutrition Journal. 12:65-74.
- Loria, CM, Bush, TL,Carroll, MD,Looker, AC, McDowell, MA, Johnson,CL, Sempos, CT. (1995). Macronutrient Intakes among Adult Hispanics: A Comparison of Mexican Americans, Cuban Americans, and Mainland Puerto Ricans. American Journal of Public Health. 85(5): 684-689.
- Hispanic/Latino Profile. http://www.minorityhealth.hhs.gov/templates/browse.aspx?lvl=3&lvlid=31
- Kochanek, KD, Xu, J, Murphy, SL, et al. Deaths: Final Data for 2009. National vital statistics reports; 60(3): Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. 2012. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_03.pdf
- Obesity and Hispanic Americans, Office of Minority Health. http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/templates/content.aspx?ID=6459
- Aponte J. (2009) Diabetes-related risk factors across Hispanic subgroups in the Hispanic Health and Nutritional Examination Survey (1982-1984). Public Health Nursing, Jan-Feb; 26 (1): 23-38.
- Rondini, EA, Fenton, JI. Low GI, High Fiber Food May Help Regulate Weight http://beaninstitute.com/low-gi-high-fiber-food-may-help-regulate-weight/?rel=newsletter#sthash.TD9ifip1.pdf Accessed 1/29/14.
- National Center for Ethics in Health Care. (2006) In Focus Topics in Health Care Ethics.“Teach Back” a Tool for Improving provider-patient communication. http://www.ethics.va.gov/docs/infocus/InFocus_20060401_Teach_Back.pdf
- Ennis, SR, Ríos-Vargas, M, Albert, NG. (2011) The Hispanic Population: 2010. U.S. Department of Commerce, Economics and Statistics Administration, S. Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-04.pdf