For a printer-ready version of this newsletter, click here.
Bridging the Motivation Gap
- American Dietetic Association Consumer Opinion Survey. Nutrition and You: Trends 2008
- International Food Information Council. 2011 Food & Health Survey: Consumer Attitudes Towards Food Safety, Nutrition & Health, May 5, 2011 http://www.foodinsight.org/Resources/Detail.aspx?topic=2011_Food_Health_Survey_Consumer_Attitudes_Toward_Food_Safety_Nutrition_Health
- Harris Interactive. The Harris Poll #52, April 27, 2011, www.harrisinteractive.com
- Reinberg S. Survey Finds Many Young Adults Oblivious to Heart Health. HealthDay, May 2, 2011.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. www.dietaryguidelines.gov
- Guenther P, Dood K, Reedy J, Krebs-Smith S. Most Americans Eat Much Less than Recommended Amounts of Fruits and Vegetables. J Am Diet Assoc. 2006;106:1371-1379
- Winham D, Webb D, Barr A. Beans and Good Health. Nutrition Today, 2008;43(5);201-209
Dry Bean Consumption in the U.S.
- Albala K. Beans: A History, Oxford, UK: Berg Publishers; 2007.
- Food and Agriculture Organization, FAOSTAT, World pulse crops,http://faostat.fao.org/site/339/default.aspx
- USDA-ERS. Vegetables and Melons Outlook NGS-344/April 28, 2011. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/vgs/VGSTables.htm
- Sax I. Chickpea Power – Spread the word: Americans going garbanzo for hummus. NYDailyNews.com. July 18, 2007. http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/food/2007/07/18/2007-07-18_chickpea_power-2.html?ref=rss
- Lucier G, Biing-Hwan L, Allshouse J, Kantor LS. Factors affecting dry bean consumption in the United States. Economic Research Service/USDA, Vegetables and Specialties S&O/VGDS-280/April 2000. http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/DryBeans/PDFs/DryBeanConsumption.pdf
- A.C. Nielsen HomeScan Panel – 52 weeks ending 12/31/2005
- Nielsen Homescan Panel of All Outlets. 2006 U.S. Household Penetration of Dry Beans by Packaging Form.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. State Indicator Report on Fruits and Vegetables, 2009. http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/indicatorreport/
- TNS telephone omnibus survey, September 2006. Data on file, Bush Brothers & Company, Knoxville, TN.
- Hornick B, Weiss L. Comparative Nutrient Analysis of Commonly Consumed Vegetables. Nutrition Today, 2011;46(3):130- 137.