For a printer-ready version of this newsletter, click here.
Dry Beans in the Human Diet May Reduce Risk of Hypertension
- USDA nutrient database. www nal usda gov/fnic/foodcomp/search accessed 11 December 2012.
- Lee YP, Puddey IB, Hodgson JM (2008). Protein, fibre and blood pressure: potential benefits of legumes. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 35; 473-6.
- Rebholtz CM, Friedman EE, Powers LJ, et al (2012). Dietary protein intake and blood pressure: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Am J Epidemiol 176(Supppl); S27-S43.
- Savica V, Bellinghieri G, Kopple JD (2010). The effect of nutrition on blood pressure. Annu Rev Nutr 30; 365-401.
- Larsson SG, Virtamo J, Wolk A (2011). Potassium, calcium and magnesium intakes and risk of stroke in women. Am J Epidemiol 174; 35-43.
- van de Laar RJJ, Stehouwer CDA, Van Bussel BCT et al (2012). Lower lifetime dietary fiber intake is associated with carotid artery stiffness: the Amsterdam Growth and Health Longitudinal Study. Am J Clin Nutr 96; 14-23.
- Chuang S-C, Norat T, Murphy N et al (2012). Fiber intake and total and cause-specific mortality in the Eurpean Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition cohort. Am J Clin Nutr 96; 164-74.
- Altorf-van der Kuil W, Engberink MF, Brink EJ et al (2010). Dietary protein and blood pressure: A systematic review. PLOS One 5; e12102. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0012102.
- Papanikolaou Y, Fulgoni VL (2008). Bean consumption is associated with greater nutrient intake, reduced systolic blood pressure, lower body weight, and a smaller waist circumference in adults: Results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2002. J Am Coll Nutr 27; 569-76.
- Noel SE, Newby PK, Ordovas JM, Tucker KL (2009). A traditional rice and beans pattern is associated with metabolic syndrome in Puerto Rican older adults. J Nutr 139; 1360-7.
- Mattei J, Hu FB, Campos H (2011). A higher ratio of beans to white rice is associated with lower cardiometabolic risk factors in Costa Rica adults. Am J Clin Nutr 94; 869-76.
- Heidemann C, Schulze MB, Franco OH et al (2008). Dietary patterns and risk of mortality from cardiovascular disease, cancer, and all causes in a prospective cohort of women. Circulation 118; 230-7.
- Buckland R, Gonzalez CA, Agudo A et al (2009). Adherence to the Mediterranean diet and risk of coronary heart disease in the Spanish EPIC Cohort Study. Am J Epidemiol 170; 1518-29.
- Kabagambe EK, Baylin A, Ruiz-Narvarez E, Siles X, Campos H (2005). Decreased consumption of dried mature beans is positively associated with urbanization and nonfatal myocardial infarction. J Nutr 135; 1770-5.
- Swain JF, McCarron PB, Hamilton EF, Sacks FM, Appel LJ (2008). Characteristics of the diet patterns tested in the Optimal Macronutrient Intake Trial to Prevent Heart Disease (OmniHeart): Options for a heart-healthy diet. J Am Diet Assoc 108; 257-65.
- Lichtenstein AH, Appel LJ, Brands M et al (2006). Diet and lifestyle recommendations revision 2006. A scientific statement from the American Heart Assocation Nutrition Committee. Circulation 114; 82-96.