For a printer-ready version of this newsletter, click here.
Can Bean Consumption Slow The Progression Of Prediabetes or Type 2 Diabetes?
- Position Statement American Diabetes Association (ADA): Standards of medical care in diabetes – 2013. Diabetes Care. 2013;36(Supp 1):S15-S66.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National diabetes fact sheet.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2011. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/pdf/ndfs_2011.pdf. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- YanFeng Li, MD, Linda S. Geiss, MA, Nilka R. Burrows, MPH, Deborah B. Rolka, MS, Ann Albright, PhD Awareness of Prediabetes — United States, 2005–2010. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6211a4.htm?s_cid=mm6211a4_w. Accessed April 18,2013.
- Knowler WC, Barrett-Conner E, Fowler SE, et al; Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin. N Engl J Med 2002;346:393–403.
- Warshaw HS: Nutrition Therapy for Adults with Type 2 Diabetes. In: Evert A, Franz M: Diabetes Nutrition Therapy, American Diabetes Association, 2012.
- American Diabetes Association, Position Statement. Nutrition recommendations and interventions. Diabetes Care. 2008; 31:S61-S78.
- Youssef G:.Nutrition Therapy for Prediabetes. In: Evert A, Franz M: Diabetes Nutrition Therapy, American Diabetes Association, 2012.
- Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group 10-year follow-up of diabetes incidence and weight loss in the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study. The Lancet. 2009;374(9702):1677–1686.
- United States Department of Agriculture, Report of the Dietary Guidelines. Part D, Section 5. Carbohydrates. Advisory Committee on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. Available at: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-DGACReport.htm. Accessed, April 18, 2013.
- Clemens R, Kranz S, Mobley AR, Nicklas RA, Raimondi MP, Rodriquez JC, Slavin JL, Warshaw H: Filling America’s fiber intake gap: Summar of a roundtable to probe realistic solutions with a focus on grain-based foods. J Nutr. 2012;142:1390S-1401S.
- Vitolins MZ et al Action for Health in Diabetes (Look AHEAD) Trial: Baseline evaluation of selected nutrients and food group intake. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2009;109(8):1367-75.
- Asp NG. Resistant Starch: Proceedings from the second plenary meeting of EURESTA: European FLAIR Concerted Action No. 11 on physiological implications of the consumption of resistant starch in man. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1992; 46:S1.
- Murphy M, Douglass JS, Birkett A. Resistant Starch Stake in the United States. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2008;108: 67-78.
- USDA Economic Research Service. Dry Beans http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/crops/vegetables-pulses/dry-beans.aspx#consumption. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Finley JW, Burrell JB, Reeves PG: Pinto bean consumption changes SCFA profiles in fecal fermentations, bacterial populations of the lower bowel, and lipid profiles in blood of humans. J Nutr . 2007;137:2391-2398.
- Papanikolaou Y & Fulgoni VL 3rd (2008) Bean consumption is associated with greater nutrient intake, reduced systolic blood pressure, lower body weight, and a smaller waist circumference in adults: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999–2002. J Am Coll Nutr. 2008;27:569–576.
- Raatz S: Nutritional value of dry beans. The Bean Institute. http://beaninstitute.com/health-benefits/nutritional-value-of-dry-beans/. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- Thompson SV, Winham DM, Hutchins AM: Bean and rice meals reduce postprandial glycemic response in adults with type 2 diabetes: a cross-over study. Nutrition J. http://www.nutritionj.com/content/11/1/23. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Sievenpiper JL, Kendall CWC, Esfahani A, Wong JMW, Carleton AJ, Jiang HY, Bazinet RP, Vidgen E, Jenkins DJA: Effect of non-oil-seed pulses on glycaemic control: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled experimental trials in people with and without diabetes. Diabetologia. 2009; 52:1479–1495.
- Karmally W, Zimmerman J: Nutrition Therapy for Diabetes and Lipid Disorders. In: Evert A, Franz M: Diabetes Nutrition Therapy, American Diabetes Association, 2012.
- Franz M. et al: Evidence for MNT for type 1 and type 2 diabetes in adults, J Acad Nutr Diet. 2010;110(12):1852-1889
- Messina MJ. Legumes and soybeans: overview of their nutritional profiles and health effects. Am J Clin Nutr. 1999;70:S439–50.
- Ventura E. Davis J, Byrd-Williams C, Alexander K, McClain A, Lane DJ, Spruiit-Metz D, Weigensberg M, Goran M. Reduction in risk factors for type 2 diabetes mellitus in response to a low-sugar, high-fiber dietary intervention in overweight latino adolescents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009;163(4):320-327.
- Warshaw HS: Resistant Starch: Dietary fibers, health benefits and practical application. Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine Newsletter.2012;15(2):32-35.
- Cummings JH, MacFarlane GT, Englyst HN. Prebiotic Digestion and Fermentation. AJCN. 2001;73(Suppl 2):415S-420S.
- Bodinham CL, Frost GS, Robertson MD. Acute Ingestion of Resistant Starch Reduces Food Intake in Healthy Adults. Brit J Nutr. 2010;103(6):917-922.
- IOM, Dietary Reference Intakes: Proposed Definition of Dietary Fiber (2001), http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=10161; Accessed April 19, 2013..
- Wheeler ML, Dunbar SA, Jaacks LM, Karmally W, Mayer-Davis EJ, Wylie-Rosett J, Yancy WS: Macronutrients, food groups, and eating patterns in the management of diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2012;35:434-445.
- US Dept Agriculture and Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010, 7th ed. Washington, DC: US Gov’t Printing Office, 2010, http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Musso G, Gambion R, Cassader M: Obesity, diabetes and gut microbiota: The hygiene hypothesis expanded? Diabetes Care 33:2277–2284, 2010.
Beans Help Control Glucose Levels, Offer A Positive Force Against Chronic Disease
- Ceriello A. Cardiovascular effects of acute hyperglycaemia: pathophysiological underpinnings. Diab Vasc Dis Res 2008;5:260-8.
- Ceriello A, Esposito K, Piconi L, et al. Oscillating glucose is more deleterious to endothelial function and oxidative stress than mean glucose in normal and type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes 2008;57:1349-54.
- Sievenpiper JL, Kendall CW, Esfahani A, et al. Effect of non-oil-seed pulses on glycaemic control: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled experimental trials in people with and without diabetes. Diabetologia 2009;52:1479-95.
- Atkinson FS, Foster-Powell K, Brand-Miller JC. International tables of glycemic index and clycemic load values: 2008. Diabetes Care 2008;31;2281-3.
- Hutchins AM, Winham DM, Thompson SV. Phaseolus beans: impact on glycaemic response and chronic disease risk in human subjects. Br J Nutr 2012;108:S52-65. doi: 10.1017/S0007114512000761